Mandatory Mask Ordinance
For the prevention of the spread of COVID-19, the government has required the public to wear face masks in all indoor and outdoor facilities, effective Nov. 13. Each violation is subject to an administrative fine of KRW 100,000.
Below are the frequently asked questions
on the mandatory mask ordinance:
- 1. What are acceptable face masks?
- - Medical and surgical masks for blocking droplets, fabric (cotton) masks, and disposable masks.
- 2. What are non-acceptable face masks?
- - Mesh-type masks, valve-type masks, scarves, and other cloth pieces.
- 3. Outdoor activities including a walk in a park, hiking, etc.
- - Face masks are not required if social distancing at least 2 meters.
- 4. Restaurants and coffee shops
- - Face masks must be worn at all times, except when consuming food or beverages.
- 5. Face masks for inpatients
- - Patients receiving intensive care and patients with respiratory diseases that cause difficulties in breathing when wearing face mask are exempted from wearing face masks.
- - Other patients who have difficulties in wearing face masks may be exempted from mandatory wearing of face masks based on the recommendation of an attending physician.
- 6. Face masks at work or during meetings inside offices
- - Face masks must be worn for all indoor situations as well as outdoor situations where social distancing of at least 2 meters is not possible. Therefore, all office workers are required to wear face masks inside the office as well as outside if social distancing is not possible. Face masks must be worn in meetings where participants engage in discussions that cause spread of droplets.
- 7. How much is the administrative fine?
- - Up to KRW 100,000 regardless of the number of violations
(For non-compliance when asked to properly wear a face mask by authorities)
- 8. Who are exempted from the administrative fine?
- - Minors younger than 14, people who have breathing difficulties when wearing a face mask due to underlying diseases, etc.
- 9. Indoor swimming pools, public baths, saunas, etc.
- - Face masks must be worn at all times, including at the changing room, except when underwater or inside a tub.
- 10. Gym
- - Face masks must be worn.
(refrain from excessive exercise; remove face mask when feeling dizzy and take a rest in an isolated area)
- 11. Picture taking at a private occasion
- - Not exempted; must wear face masks.
(Picture taking without face masks acceptable for event host(s) or minimum number of applicable persons)